Less than 2 hours here, most spent unloading my truck, and I have already been told by my parents that I need to get a new career. Also, I am pretty sure they have no idea what I do and that very few companies in Sonoma County that offer more than minimum wage would take on an entertainment-based web producer for their day to day office work in this economy. at least I have a few days in LA to couch surf and enjoy my last moments of freedom from parental life advice. sigh
Black Friday, aka Buy Nothing Day, was a really big deal when I was in college.
Apparently, by buying nothing, you were subverting the capitalist system. You were sticking it to the Man by not standing in line, not getting that new J. Crew sweater or CD player or whatever. It was the topic of many flyers on dorm hallways and in school buildings. Many of my friends still celebrate this anti-holiday. I know this from Facebook groups.
Yes, your voice as a consumer counts more than your voice as an activist or a voter. So purchase responsibly throughout the year… which is kind of redundant instruction as my friends that are still into Buy Nothing Day already do. So what difference does it make if I get my Keihl’s today or in a week? 20% off, that’s what. (Plus next week I’ll have to drive down to San Francisco to get it, wasting energy, gasoline and time.) I also bought a bagel and an espresso and paid my cellphone bill. I might buy a beer later, pending on how far I get in packing. So all in all, I’ve spent money. And I’m not ashamed. In fact, 2 years ago tomorrow, I bought my car. And I got it for a lot less than had I purchased it a few weeks before or after.
Also, you should listen to Steely Dan today because they have a song called Black Friday.
i put a test run out on ok cupid to see if could find anyone dateable in the santa rosa area…
this is a highlight of what i have found:
My favorite books, movies, music, and food I like alternative music, rock, not sure what it is….but generally the more popular bands. Linkin Park, Green Day, Matchbox 20.
who wants to bet he’ll take me to applebee’s on a first date??
- david: i can't believe you got a cat.
- me: me neither.
- david: you know you can't keep it.
- me: but i might love her.
- david: cats are horrible, miserable creatures. they watch you when you sleep.
- me: you might like her. i hate cats. i like this one... a lot.
- david: does she watch you when you sleep?
- me: i think so.
- david: see? also, you get a cat now and you'll have 50 cats by the time you turn 40. you'll become a crazy cat lady.
- me: no i won't, i hate cats.
- david: that's how they start. that's how they all start. then they get one cat. then another... then they're 40, alone and in a house of cats.
- me: i just want to keep millhouse. oliver loves him.
- david: you're already a crazy dog lady. now you'll be a cat lady. you keep this cat, you will die alone. you'll be like that cat lady on the simpsons.
- me: in fairness she was a doctor AND a lawyer before she became a cat lady.
- david: the fact that you remember this puts you at risk...
- me: you know i have a photographic memory for popular culture. don't you dare use it against me nor millhouse van kitten.
- david: you're sick. and you won't get to keep her.